Thursday, January 15, 2009

How's your philosophical health?

I just found a cool, short online quiz that tests for "philosophical health." It's very similar to the one that I give students in my intro level philosophy courses.

A central task of philosophy is to examine the relations between our beliefs on various issues, and to expose tensions and contradictions.

Students are often shocked by their results.

However, I'd like to get feedback on the test from a larger sample size of people (not just the students who take my classes!)

If you'd like to help with this "social experiment", then:

1) Go to http://tinyurl.com/5kmvt and take the test. It should only take a few minutes to complete. Don't overthink your answers. Just go with your initial responses.

2) Press "submit" and see your results.

3) Post a comment to this blog with your reactions. Were you surprised by the results? Did you learn anything about yourself? What do you think of the test?

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Right, so I came out at 20% tension--a sufficient enough acknowledgment of my philosophical entanglement.

    Interesting survey; the questions seem specifically ordered to prevent you from noticing patterns. What makes the quiz impressive is the lengthy explanation of various "tensions" when they arise.

    I was surprised by one result, though it played out more like a trick than anything else. I agreed with 16 but disagreed with 21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across this survey and found it interesting and somewhat frustrating...not because of the "tension" conflicts it pointed out in my selections, but because of inherent conflicts that the English language creates because of its imprecise and "open to interpretation" nature.

    I wonder if the questions were in some new language worded as precise as 1's and 0's if a person could answer more accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to find that i had 0% tension. apprentlly i quite healthy and consistent in the sets of belive i hold, because the possibilties that i only have a few belives and done this test before where certainly not true.

    nice test surelly gonna recomment it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 0% is most impressive! lol

    It's an interesting question how much of the test results are due to the test design or the nature of the English language.

    One of my facebook friends (another philosophy instructor) tested 7% and retorted: "I claim to have a non-conflicted explanation for tension I'm accused of. So I claim 0% tension."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got 0%, but I've seen the test before. In fact, I give it to my students every semester!

    ReplyDelete